- Creamy rich and sweet bananas are a favourite food for both infants and elders.They are cultivated in the tropics.
- countries where bananas are found are:
They grow in bunches on large plants with huge leaves that sprout straight from the ground.
- Helps in curing piles:
- Bananas help in regulating bowel movements therefore assisting in piles.
- Helps regulating anemia:
- They are extremely good for anemic patients as they contain high level of iron which help to regulate the haemoglobin level in the body.
- Prevents allergies as the presence of amino acids helps to fight against allergies.
- Helps withdrawing smoking urge:Vitamins B6 and B12 along with magnesium and potassium in bananas helps to recover from nicotine addiction.
- Helps in controlling diarrhoea:Raw bananas are astringent in nature and are effective in treatment for diarrhoea. They also regulate fluid balance.
- Improves nerve function and enhance brain power:Potassium in banana keeps the mental faculties vigilant and boost learning abilities.It is also a rich source of vitamin B and perks up nerve function.
- Prevents insomnia:Bananas are rich in amino acids known as tryptophan. This substance triggers production of melatonin which induces sleep. Just eating a banana before going to bed will ensure a peaceful slumber.
- Natural moisturiser:The vitamin present in banana restores the lost moisture and repairs the damaged dull and dry skin.
- Glowing skin:Mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1tbsp of sandalwood powder and half tspn.of honey.Let the mask stay on your skin for 20-25mins and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Banana skin scrub:Take smashed banana and 1tbsp of sugar and mix them well.Apply it on your skin and rub in circular motion. Banana will moisturise the dry skin while sugar crystals will get rid of the dead skins.
well.Mix 3tbsp of sugar and here a perfect body scrub is ready for your bath.
- Anti aging: A simple face mask to fight effect of aging is to mash one fourth of banana until very creamy and add 1tspn of rose water.Apply it on your face and neck and wash it off after half an hour.
- Foot care: This is a quick remedy for cracked heels.Just mash the pulp of 2 bananas and apply on clean dry feet.Leave it for 10 mins and rinse the feet clean.The pulp will penetrate deep into dry cracked skin to present soft and supple feet.
- See you next time puffy eyes: Mash half a banana and apply around the puffed areas.Let the mask sit for 15-20 mins and rinse it with cool water. The puffiness will vanish in a wink because tha potassium rich banana suckling out excess fluid under the skin and reduces the swelling instantly.
Hair benefits of banana:
- To treat hair loss mix ripe banana pulp with yogurt . Apply the smooth paste on your scalp and rinse with cool water after 20 mins.
- Pack for dry hair: Mix 3 spoons of honey with ripe bananas and apply it on your hair when it is wet.Let the pack sit for at least 25 mins followed by usual hair wash.
- Pack for wrinkles: Banana peel can also be used to get rid of wrinkles.apply fresh peel on the affected areas for 15 mins everyday and within a week you can find a noticeable change within you.
How to store and select banana:
- selection: You should select bananas based on when you want to consume them.They should look and feel quite firm and bright.The peel should not be crushed or cut and their stems and tips should be intact.
- Storage: Bananas if not fully ripe should be stored at room temperature to allow it to ripen.
- Wrap the bananas in some paper for fast Ripening.
- Being very fragile they should be stored by hanging on the banana stand or by turning the bunch upside down.This will prevent the bananas from developing brown spots due to friction with the table surface.
By Arshi Javed,
Writer of "ALLARSH"