- The durian is distinctive for its large size, strong odour and thorn covered husk.
- Many south as I and regard this fruit as the king of fruits '.
- It's shape ranges from oblong to round,the colour of its husk green to brown and its flesh pale yellow to red,depending on the species.
- This south Asians fruit is famous for its strong aroma which some people appreciate and others find it overpowering and revolting.
- Durian is native to Brunei Indonesia and Malaysia.Thailand is one of the major exporters of durian.
- Prices of it is comparatively high in respect to other fruits.
- Countries where durian is availed easily are,
- Durian may warm the body:In the world of herbalism durian is assumed as a body warmer food and it may have a slight hypothermic effect on the body.It contains sulphides and other compounds known for inducing a warming sensation.
- Durian may worsen kidney disease:It is high in potassium,a nutrient most reliable for proper nerve and muscle function . individuals with kidney disorders need to monitor their levels in order to keep their condition under control. Therefore it should not be consumed by kidney patients or by those victim of end stage renal disease.
- Durian is loaded with antioxidants.
- Durian may promote normal cholesterol:We live in an era of high cholesterol where health consciousness has become the first priority among many.There is a random increase of high cholesterol and triglycerides. Durian has been shown to support normal cholesterol levels reducing the risk of heart disease.
A few 'NEVER ALWAYS to follow:
- Never burp after consuming durian.haa!!!!The results gone be ghastly.
- Never combine durian with fizzy drink
- Never kiss your better half devouring durian else you'll end up on your rear.
- It should never be left uncovered in a fridge otherwise all the contents would have a stench smell and your meals would be spoiled.
Nutritional value of durian:
- It has high nutritional values . Therefore many devour it ignoring the foul smell.
- It is a good source of carbohydrates protein dietary fibre energy and rich in vitamin B C E.It lacks cholesterol.
- It is rich in phytonutrients,antioxidants and raises serotonin levels,therefore elevating ones good mood.
- It has high iron content which helps to get rid of yeast infections as thrush. It also helps to improve libido.
- It is also effective for muscle building and organ function.
Tips for selecting durian:
- You should be more careful when you are buying durian because many outstanding injections are injected to make it sweet.
- Look for slight irregularities in the shape of the fruit.
- Take a whiff.Assuming the odor doesn't already put you off so need to learn to distinguish the smells. If u smell several times and u feel a docile smell it means the fruit isn't ripe.with practise you will soon learn to identify the right durian.
By Arshi Javed,
Writer of "ALLARSH"