- The kiwi is a tiny fruit holding great surprises.Its favourite among many for it's vibrant colour and exotic taste.
- It is native to northern china and is known as "Chinese Gooseberry".
- It is the national fruit of China.
- Leading commercial producers of kiwi fruits:
Health benefits of kiwis:
- High consumption of plant foods like kiwi reduce the risk of obesity.
- Heart health:The fibre and potassium in kiwi support heart health,reduce risk if stroke.Protect against loss of muscle mass,preserve bone mineral density and reduce the formation of kidney stones.
- Lowers blood pressure:Prevents constipation.The fuzzy little kiwis rich in nutrients like vitamin E,K,copper,magnesium and phosphorus.
- Prevents asthma:Intake of kiwi can prevent the risk of asthma.
- Protects from DNA damage:The unique combination of antioxidants in kiwi fruits help in protecting the cell DNA from oxidative damage.some experts have opinion that it can help to prevent cancer.
- Helps clean out toxins:The fuzzy fibre of kiwi helps bind and move toxins from your intestinal tract.
- Create alkaline balance:Kiwi is the most alkaline rank for fruits.It has rich supply of minerals to replace the excess of acidic foods from the consumption of many individuals.A few of the properties of balanced acidic/alkalinity in the body are youthful skin,deeper sleep abundant physical energy,fewer colds,less arthritis and reduced osteoporosis.
Amazing facts of kiwi fruits:
- Kiwi fruit was named after new Zealand kiwi bird because both are small brown and furry.
- Not all kiwi fruits is fuzzy!There is a golden kiwi with a smooth bronze skin and is actually more sweeter and aromatic in flavour.
- kiwi was first introduced to the USA in 1962.Although kiwi can grow in any temperate climate most of the world's kiwi are grown in Italy, New Zealand, and Chile. It is grown much like grapes.
- Yes you can definitely eat the fuzz of kiwi if you want.
Caution against kiwi:
- Kiwi's also contain enzyme substances associated with the latex fruit allergy syndrome. Individuals who are victims of latex allergy may be allergic to kiwi also.cooking it will deactivates the enzymes.
A few quick serving ideas to enjoy kiwifruit :
- Add kiwi fruits to tossed green salads.
- Serve sliced kiwi strawberries and fruits whose flavours are naturally complementary, topped with yogurt.
- To make a chilled soup blend kiwi fruit and cantaloupe in a food processor. For creamy effect blend yogurt in the mixture.
- The wonderful flavour and appearance of kiwifruit is excellent to use in fruit tarts.
Kiwi skin care:
- Putting kiwi slices over the eyes help to reduce puffiness and dark circles.
- Prevents sun damage:Kiwi is rich in amino acids which fight the harmful rays of the sun,preventing sun damage.
- Exfoliation:The peel of the fuzzy fruit contains enzymes which exfoliate the dead skin cells from the skin.Peel the kiwi fruit and scrub the inside of the skin for a flawless and smooth skin.
- Consuming kiwi juice on a regular basis stimulates the development of new cells in the skin layers. It also keeps the skin hydrated thus making the skin younger and glowing.
kiwi hair care:
- Fights hair loss:Fruits rich in vitamin C and E can help fight hair loss and maintain proper health of the hair.
- Hydrate hair:The high content of omega 3 fatty acids in the kiwifruit seed oil hydrates the hair without weighing it down. The oil is best suited for dry and unruly hair.
- Prevents premature graying:The high amount of copper in the fruit maintain the natural colour of the hair preventing premature graying.
- Treats dandruff and eczema: Regular consumption of kiwi strengthens blood vessels to reduce scalp conditions like dandruff and scalp eczema. It also reduces scalp inflammation to prevent hair loss.
How to select and store kiwi fruit:
- Selection:When selecting kiwi fruits hold them between your thumb and forefinger and gently apply pressure; those that have the sweetest taste yield gently to pressure or if fruits do not yield when gentle pressure is applied then that means they are not ready to be consumed since they have not reached to their peak of sweetness.
- Storing:Kiwifruit can be left to ripen for a few days to a week at room temperature away from exposure to sunlight or heat.Placing the fruit in a paper bag with an apple,banana or pear will speed up the ripening process.Ripe kiwi fruits is better to be stored in a refrigerator.
By Arshi Javed,
Writer of "ALLARSH".