- Passion fruit is native from Brazil. It grows on a climbing plant. It needs well drained fertile soil and good moisture to flourish.
- Passion fruit features round to oval shape and have a tough outer shell.Yellow passion are larger than the purple ones.The aroma of the purple passion is less acidic,richer in aroma and flavour and has a higher proportion of juicy pulp.
- The life span of this plant is only 5-6 years.
- There are number of varieties, of passion fruit, some are sweeter than others,some are the size of an egg while some are 3 times as large.only two main types of passion fruit are cultivated widely.....Orange and purple.The skin is leathery and purple,contain a jelly like pulp with a scattering numerous black edible seeds.
- It's available all the year round.During every season the vine bears greenish white fragrant flowers which develop into fruits.
- Countries where passion is chiefly cultivated :
- New Zealand
- The caribbean
Health benefits of passion fruit:
- Passion fruit is a rich source of antioxidant minerals,vitamins and fiber. This delicious 100 gram fruit contain 97 calories.
- The fruit is a very good source of dietary fibre.Good fiber helps to discard cholesterol from the body.The good news is that being a good bulk of laxative,it also helps protect the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure time to toxic substances in the colon and wiping off cancer causing toxic substances from the colon.
- Passion fruit is rich in vitamin C. Doctors recommend to consume fruits rich in vitamin C because it helps the body to develop resistance against flu - like infectious agents and scavenge harmful pro-inflammatory radicals.
- Being a rich source of vitamin A passion fruit is also beneficial for good eyesight.
- Furthermore, passion fruit is a very good source of minerals like:
- The flower of passion fruit has been used for centuries by many cultures as a medicinal supplements to treat insomnia,asthma,anxiety and menopause.
- The inner white rind of the passion fruit has the ability to reduce asthma symptoms and ellie ate the pain by osteoarthritis.
Passion serving tips:
- For a colourful treat,top your low fat yogurt with spoon of passion.
- passion add a very distinctive flavour to fruits or green salads.
- passion fruit is added in the preparation of sauce,jellies and syrups.Food innovators add passion in recipes like passion fruit mousse, ice cream ,desserts,pizza ,cakes etc very passionately.
- The juice pulp can also be enjoyed as a refreshing intra-day drink.
- Top chicken,fish,lean meats with spoonfuls of passion for a change.
- Passion fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C.100 grams of passion offers 50% daily requirements of this vitamin.
- New Zealander variety of passion fruits are purple while hawaiians are yellow.
- Passion fruit plays a vital medicinal role in the field of medicine.Its a prevention of many diseases like:
- Cancerous growth
- Stimulate digestion
- Boosts immune function
- Increases skin health
- Regulates fluid balances in the body
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves bone mineral density
- Reduces sign of ageing
- Lessens inflammation and not the least
- Eliminates asthma.
Passion possible side effects:
- The sedative property of passion fruit can lead to intervention with drugs.If you are prescribed medicines for depression and anxiety then you must consult your physician about the permissIble dosage of this fruit.
- This piece of information must be noted that excessive alcohol and passion fruit should be avoided. Even on temporary bases they can make your reflexes extremely sluggish.
- Diabetic patients must not consume passion fruit at large because most of the calories of this fruit comes from sugar.
Passion style craze:
- Anti ageing benefits:Passion fruit has a high content of vitamin C and other antioxidants that slows down the damage caused by free radicals which cause skin ageing. It also helps preserve collagen and elastin,thus keeping your skin youthful and firm.
- Skin protection:It shields against cancer causing agents,thus protecting your skin from the DNA damage free radicals.
- Moisturises your skin:Oil of passion fruit is light and non greasy.It moistures all types of skin and it is great for acne prone skin.
- Rejuvenates skin:Passion fruit oil also contain several phytochemical that help the body produce vitamin A which also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Soothes skin inflammation:Due to the presence of anti inflammation properties passion fruit is beneficial for reducing swelling and irritation.
Passion hair care:
- Combats hair loss:Passion fruit is rich in vitamin C which is s powerful antioxidant.This vitamin creates collagen which prevents hair from splitting and breaking.It also eliminates external deterrents that can cause stress and imbalances leading to hair loss.It is rich in vital nutrients,vitamins and minerals which promote healthy hair and scalp.Drinking the juice of passion fruit can help in warding off hair problems.
How to store and select passion fruit
- Selection:In the stores purchase fruits that are well ripe, plump and heavy for their size.Passion with wrinkled surfaces are more rich in flavours and sugar.Just avoid over mature fruits.Minor cuts and spots are a common feature on the skin and do not influence the quality of the fruit.
- storage:Once the fruit reaches our home just keep them in fruit basket and place in a cool dark place where they can sit fine for 1-2 days.of course the ripe ones will sit in the refrigerator for a week .Additionally this delicious passion fruit freezes well.simply scoop the pulpy contents out of the harder shell into a bowl,add a little sugar and freeze in a chillier tray.
By Arshi Javed,
Writer of "ALLARSH".. .