- Wow!!!an impressive meaning of the name 'Rambutans '-----'hairy man of the jungle',in Bahasa - Malay,a perfect reflection of the appearance of the fruit.
- Rambutans are covered with yellowish - red soft spines with large seeds surrounded by white,juicy,flesh similar to lychee.
- It is native to southeast Asia and is closely related to lychee and longman.The skin is red and covered with hairy spines.The flavour of it is more acidic,sweet and very aromatic.
- Rambutan has a single,glossy,brown inedible seed.With its hairy outlook it may not be appealing to eat at first sight.However,once you get over your fear and give this exotic fruit a chance,your taste buds will surely say,'oh!thank you!'
- Countries where rambutans are cultivated:
- Sri Lanka
- Central America
- Rambutans are available mostly in southern state of Tamil Nadu,Kerala and Karnataka.
Amazing facts about rambutans:
- Rambutan trees bear twice annually once in late fall and early winter with a shorter season in late spring and early summer.
- They grow in cluster of 10-20 pieces.If the humidity is high then the fruit can be held at room temperature in a plastic bag that is not sealed but rather loosely closed.
- Rambutans leaves are used to care headaches.Eating rambutans five days a week will help to avoid cancer disease.
- Seed oil from the rambutan is formed and is used in the manufacturing of candles and soaps.
Rambutan health benefits:
- Energy boosters:The carbohydrates and protein content of rambutans help to increase energy and prevent bloating.Being rich in water rambutans keep the body hydrated and quenches thirst.
- Absorption of micronutrients:Vitamin C plays a vital role as it helps to absorb minerals,iron and copper,shields the body from getting damaged from free radicals and very essential for formation of sperms.
- Elimination of free radicals:One of the main compounds of rambutan is Gallic acid. This mystic compound behaves like a free radical scavenger that protects your body from oxidative damage and particularly helpful to fight cancer.
- Generation of red and white blood cells:Moderate amount of copper is found in rambutans which is responsible for the generation of white and red blood cells.It also contains manganese which your body needs to produce and activate enzymes.
- Removes waste from kidney:Amazingly the phosphorus in rambutans helps to remove the waste in kidneys and is there,essential for the development,repair and maintenance of tissues and body cells.presence of phosphorus along with calcium works together to fortify the teeth and strengthen bones.
- Sources of iron:Rambutans are an excellent source of iron helping to correct the amount of oxygen in the body which controls dizziness and fatigue due to anaemia.
- Antiseptic properties:It helps to fight the body infections which invade the body.
- Parasites killer:Consuming the 'hairy man'---can help to kill intestinal parasites and relieve symptoms of diarrhoea and fever.
Rambutans skin care:
- Hydrates skin:It's high water content hydrates your skin thus leaving it soft,smooth and supple.Due to its ability to scavenge free radicals,it protects your body from oxidative damage.powerful antioxidants present in rambutan battles cancer very effectively.
- Tit-bit tip:Make a paste of rambutans seeds and apply it on the skin to have an even skin tone.It also makes the skin healthier and softer.
Rambutan hair magic:
- A great and easy process for hair care . As you all know that rambutan plays a vital role in improving the health of your hair therefore rambutan leaves paste nourishes hair from deep inside.Take a handful of rambutan leaves and mash them till it becomes a smooth paste.Add some water and squeeze the extract.Apply the mixture onto your hair and scalp.Apply regularly for best results.
- To treat diabetes:Take about 5 seeds and roast in fire . Mash the roasted seeds finely.Add this powder to a glass of water and drink daily or even twice a day to control blood sugar level.
- To treat fever:Take 15 gram of dried rambutan leaves and boil it in 3 glasses of water.Allow the mixture to cool and strain it.Consume this mixture thrice a day to cure fever.
How to select and store:
- selection:While purchasing rambutans look for bright red and yellow in colour.The spines should be firm.You must keep a strict watch not to choose a rambutan with bruises as it may be a sign of damaged or over ripened fruit.
- Storing:Rambutans can be stored at room temperature for a couple of days.Refrigerating the fruits would definitely get a life span of a week.It should be ideally wrapped in a paper towel or perforated plastic bag.
By Arshi Javed,
Writer of "ALLARSH".