- Small grained rice (Basmati won’t do) -1/4 cup
- Full fat milk 1.5L
- Sugar 8-10 Tbsp (we like it sweet, so adjust as per taste)
- Green Cardamom 4 (use only the seeds
- Dark chocolate 75gms.
- Granulated sugar for the caramel 4 tsp
- Ghee/ Clarified butter 1 tsp
- Pistachios – handful
- Almond Flakes – handful
- Fresh mango sliced thin
- Fresh cherry
- Chocolate shavings
- Clean the rice thoroughly and set it aside soaking in water for 30 mins.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan. Make sure its a heavy bottomed deep pan.. Mine is the typical milk boiling pans with a copper bottom.
- Once the milk has boiled, add the crushed cardamom seeds to it.
- Next add the washed and drained rice to the milk and give it a stir.
- Leave this on a low flame for about an hour..remembering to keep stirring every once in a while.
- While stirring make sure you do it from the bottom and the sides as well.
- After about an hour, the milk would have begun to thicken and the rice cooked.
- Now add the sugar and stir really well.
- Leave it on for another 30 minutes till it reaches a creamy consistency..
- Taste for sweetness.
- Remove half of this into another pot.
- Immediately add the chopped dark chocolate to this half of the kheer. Stir till the chocolate melts and is mixed thoroughly.Set aside to cool completely.
- Next for the caramel rice pudding :
- In a small tempering pan, add the ghee and the granulated sugar. Put it on medium high heat and let the sugar caramelise. It should turn brown at the edges first, Slowly shake the pan , dont mix with a spoon.
- Keep shaking till the entire sugar has caramelised and reached a deep amber color. DO NOT let it burn!! Be careful and dont leave this unattended.
- As soon as the sugar is amber colored, pour into the other half of the kheer and stir vigorously till the caramel had mixed. The kheer turns into a nice pinkish color.
- Leave aside to cool.
- Set in fridge till cold.
- For serving:
I like layering dessert glasses with this rice pudding , adding some almond flakes to it. Garnish with a mango rose (slices of mango arranged in a rose like pattern), few fresh cherries, chopped salted pistachio and a few chocolate shavings.
By Swayampurna Mishra Singh