- Tell us something about you? And how would you describe your site to new readers?
I am an Engineering Graduate from NIT Rourkela, Odisha, India with specialization in Instrumentation and Applied Electronics working for a multinational US based Investment Bank.My website has nothing to do with the above as it is about my Passion towards Food, Travel and Art and I would like to share all my experiences as and when they occurred on the timeline of my ongoing life As I believe "Everything on Earth is Worth to Share, If You Only Take Positive Out Of Everything".
- When did u start blogging and what has inspired u to do so?
I started blogging in June 2009 in the name of flavoursunlimited.blogspot.com. when I decided to maintain an e-log of all my recipes and wanted to go green by avoiding writing them in a diary.I made an e-diary because I have a very bad memory. I have recently created my own website in the name of somapradhan.com
- The photos of your recipes are one of the highlights of your blog. What are the elements that go into each photo?
I keep the photographs simple and mostly do white photography i.e.I try to use white utensils and white background as I consider myself an average photographer and don’t understand much technicalities of it. I shoot mostly in day time and I take help and tips from few good photographers . I hope to improve with each photograph.
- Have there been any mistakes along the way that you have learnt from?
I have committed all mistakes and blunders which is possible in the world of cooking. And this also includes multiple burn marks on my hands. However, patience and perseverance have helped me overcome it.
- Name three ingredients you consciously avoid or eliminate even when the recipe calls for it ?
MSG , Dalda & Food Coloring is a strict no.
- Are there any ‘SOMA PRADHAN’ trade secrets about cooking that are still hidden from the public eye?
No, I try to be as transparent as possible and have no secrets which is not shared with my readers.
- Out of all the methods of cooking, which is your personal favorite?
Cooking in Earthern Pot wares.
- If you could have any four people, from any where in place, over for dinner, who would they be?
I always cook for my husband. Hence, I will not put his name here. I would like to cook for my 4 best friends . If they read this, they will come to know.
- What do you do when you are not cooking or blogging?
I like to read books and love to paint when I am free. Also, I have my normal office work to do. Hence, mostly it is about time management for me. I hope I am able to continue in future.
- What’s the best and worst thing about being a food blogger?
The best thing is to be selected as the Super Foodie by Tata Motors as I am a big fan of Tata Conglomerate and idolize Ratan Tata. There is no worst experience. I can say I had some bad ones like plagiarism, people copying recipes without giving credit etc. However, It makes me think how I can avoid that from happening and have learnt something new every time. Also, I believe that creativity cannot be copied. Hence, I am content and happy till date.
- If you could just banish any one food, from the earth, what would it be?
Deep Fried Mutton. That’s not the way mutton is cooked and trust me I have had some bad experiences in top restaurants where I am served deep fried mutton in the name of kebab.
- Which other blogs do you follow?
I follow Ayis Recipes By Shilpa, Kitchen Tantra by Malar, Cherries Blog by Amrita Bindukalpa, Green Monsoon by my brother and many more food bloggers. The list is long.
- What advice would you like to give to people who want to start blogging?
Do it with Heart or Don’t do at all
- What can we expect from 'SOMA PRADHAN' in the future?
Video Recipes which I have been thinking since quiet some days. Hope I will do it soon as I am getting plenty of requests to start it.
- What has been your experience with ALLARSH?
It has been a wonderful experience so far and I wish them great success ahead.
Let’s wrap up the interview with a few quick questions
- Favorite savory ingredient to cook with
- Favorite sweet ingredient to cook with
- When I’m feeling lazy I cook
- My pick me up dish
- Favorite dish not cooked by me
- For a romantic meal I would want to eat
- One cuisine I can live on
- One recipe I want to pass on
- Favorite Color
- Favorite Movie
- TV Show
- Favorite Book
- Favorite Time of Day
- Your Zodiac Sign