Preparation Time - 25 mins (plus some standby time)
For the Tortilla/rotis -
- 1 cup wheat flour or maida
- 1 tsp butter
- salt to taste
- a dash of pepper
- warm milk for kneading
For the filling and final touches:
- 1 cup chopped vegetables ( I used lettuce, peppers and tomatoes )
- 4 tsp grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp cream cheese ( one can also substitute it with softened/crumbled paneer )
- 4 tbsp grated processed cheese (I used Amul processed cheese)
- pinch of pepper
- a bit of grated garlic
- a dash of vinegar/lemon juice (optional)
- salt to taste
- EVOO for brushing the quesadillas.
- Take the flour in a wide plate. Add salt, pepper and butter. Rub in.
- Add milk to the flour, little by little and keep on mixing so that it is well incorporated into the dough. We want a soft dough. It is ok if it is slightly sticky but too sticky means more flour should be added.
- Cover dough with moist cloth and rest aside for 30 mins.
- Take the veggies in a mixing bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pepper, vinegar/lime juice, garlic and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Pinch small balls from the dough. Dust a working surface with flour and roll out into thin circles.
- Heat a tawa/flat pan. Put the roti/tortilla on it. Wait till small bubbles begin to form. Add some of the veggie filling to one half of the circle. Sprinkle processed cheese on the veggies.
- Fold over the other half so that the veggies and the cheese are sandwiched inside.
- Slightly press with a spatula for 1 minute or so to allow the cheese to melt from the heat. Brush some olive oil on the side. Flip over and brush more olive oil on the other side. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from tawa and keep aside. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly with a foil wrap before putting in the lunchbox.