- 1 cup rice ( I used fine grade jeera rice or Gobindo bhog )
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom
- 1-2 star anise
- 2 dry red chili ( very mild heat )
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ghee
- salt to taste
- a pinch of saffron ( soaked in 2 tsp milk )
- a handful of dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup ripe mango (chopped into small cubes)
- Wash and clean the rice. Drain the water. Add turmeric powder and mix evenly. Let it air dry for 1-2 hours.
- Cooking - Heat the ghee in a cooker. Add all the whole spices and stir fry till fragrant.
- Add the rice and fry for 2-3 mins till all the grains are coated with ghee. Finally add 2 cups water, sugar, salt, chopped cranberries and the soaked saffron strands.
- Close lid and cook for 1-2 whistles ( about 12-14 mins ). Allow steam to escape before removing the lid.
- Stir in the mangoes and let it stand covered for 5 mins for the flavor to get imbibed.
- Pack into the lunchbox along with a raita or a semi dry curry of your kid's choice.
By Sweta Biswal(contest entry)