Soft dough filled with cooked chicken in spices, home made mayo and cheese..
Chicken calzones :
For the dough :
- Maida - 1.25 cups
- Semolina - 2 tbsp
- Yeast - 2 tsp
- Milk - 3/4 thcup
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Olive oil
To make the dough, activate the yeast using warm milk, sugar. Once activated , mix it with flour, salt and knead a soft dough. Apply some oil and leave it to rise, in a warm environment.
Cooked chicken curry :
- Boneless chicken (100 gm)
- Chopped onion - 1
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Basil/thyme/rosemary - 1.5 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Refined oil
1. Heat some oil, add the chopped onion. Fry till golden brown and then add the ginger garlic paste.
2. Saute for a minute and then add the spices and salt followed by chicken.
3. Cook till done. Cool.
Home made mayonnaise :
- Egg yolks - 3
- Olive oil - 1/2 cup
- Refined oil - 1/4 th cup
1. Whisk the egg yolks and slowly add the oils till a smooth pasty consistency is obtained.
2. Add the salt and whisk. Store in the fridge.
1. After 2 hrs of proofing, roll the dough to form a round shape, spread some mayonnaise, then add the chicken curry.
2. Add the grated cheese.
3. Now wet one side of the dough with water and bring the other side on top of it and fold the edges in crimping fashion.
4. Brush the tops with little oil and sprinkle oregano.
5. Bake them for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 200℃.
P.S : originally the calzones have a tomato paste but I don't like the taste of it so I replaced it with mayo.
By Sreemoyee Bhattacharjee (contest entry)