Biryani is one of the most popular Indian rice dishes and just the name of it can make you hungry with the wonderful aroma that comes from this flavored rice. It is said that Biryani has a Persian origin. In India, it takes different looks, forms and taste in every corner of the country.
A lot of what I cook evokes memories, of course, good ones. Mushroom biryani is one such delicious recipe that has rice and sauted mushrooms flavored with aromatic spices. I love this mushroom biryani which is easy to make. It makes a very good one pot meal and a simple raita will be good enough as sides.
· Button Mushroom 500gms
· Basmati Rice 2 cups
· Large Onions 2
· Medium size tomatoes 2
· Green chilli Slit lengthwise 1
· Ginger garlic paste 1 teaspoon
· Turmeric Powder 1/2 teaspoon
· Red chilli Powder 1 teaspoon
· Coriander Powder 1 tablespoon
· Cumin Powder 1/2 teaspoon
· Biryani Masala 1 teaspoon
· 1 cup Finely chopped coriander and mint leaves
· 1/2 cup Oil
· 3 tablespoon Desi Ghee
· 1 tablespoon Salt
· Warm milk 1/4 cup
· Saffron a Pinch of strands
· Juice of Lemon 1
· Kewda essence 1 teaspoon
· Whole Masala: Bay leaf 1
· Cinnamon stick 1 inch
· Green cardamom 2 to 3
· Cloves 4
· Blade Javitri 1
· Star Anise 1
Let's Learn how to make this recipe:
· Soak the Basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
· Clean and separate the stems of the mushroom chop the stems and keep aside.
· Soak the saffron strands in warm milk.
· Finely chopped one large onion, two medium tomatoes and one green chilli and keep aside.
· Thinly Slice one Large onion and fry in a pan with oil till golden brown and keep aside.
· In the same pan sauté the button mushrooms with a little salt for 5 to 7 minutes till it becomes half way cooked. Keep aside.
· In the same pan add some oil and the finely chopped onions , green chillies and cook till onions are brown in color . Add 1 teaspoon of Ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the paste goes away.
· Now add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes becomes mushy and start to separate the oil from the masala.
· Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli powder and cook with 1 tablespoon of water so that the masala do not stick to the pan.
· Now add the pan roasted mushrooms and the chopped stems and the Biryani Masala along with the finely chopped Coriander and mint leaves and 1/4 cup water and cook till the gravy thickens . Make sure it is not too dry nor too runny.
· Now in a large Vessel , Boil water along with the whole spices marked above, 1 tablespoon of oil, juice of one lemon and salt. Strain the water from the rice and add it to the boiling water and cook till the rice is 3/4th done.
· Now grease a heavy Bottomed Pan, add a layer of rice, sprinkle some fried onions, coriander and mint leaves, a teaspoon of saffron soaked milk and top it with a layer of Mushroom masala. Repeat with one more layer of fried onions,chopped coriander and mint leaves . Sprinkle the top with saffron soaked milk and a teaspoon of kewda essence and a tablespoon of desi ghee on top.
· Cover the pan with Silver foil and keep on a pre heated tawa and cook on slow flame for 30 to 35 minutes. Turn off the gas and let it cool .
· Serve it with a cool Onion and cucumber raita along with some Papads for a blissful meal in the afternoon. By Alka Jena culinaryxpress