Kuzhi Paniyaram is basically a popular South Indian breakfast dish. It is generally made using the left over Idly Dosa batter in a cast iron paniyaram pan. But my mom never made them using left over idly batter , she always made the batter for Paniyaram from scratch and it had chana dal along with rice and urad dal. Sharing her recipe here.The rice and dal are soaked separately overnight and then ground . The batter is then allowed to ferment at least for 5-6 hours. To make the dish more wholesome, i add vegetables to this fermented Paniyaram batter. A very healthy and delicious snacks loved by one and all. A healthy and yummy kids lunch box menu too 🙂 Ingredients:
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup skinned and split Black gram ( Dhuli Urad Dal )
- 1/2 cup Bengal gram ( Chana Dal )
- 1/2 inch piece of Ginger
- 2 green Chilies
- 1 tsp Jeera ( Cumin)
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Carrot finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp of finely chopped fresh Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp of Oil
- Wash and rinse the rice. Mix the Urad dal and Chana dal ,wash and rinse them also. Soak the rice and dals in enough water separately overnight.
- Next day, do not rinse the rice or dal, just drain it and reserve the water in which it was soaked. We will be using the same water while grinding . Now grind the rice separately using a grinder. Add water little by little and grind to a thick batter. Similarly , grind the dals together in a grinder. Add ginger, cumin seeds and green chilies to the soaked dal while grinding. In a big vessel combine both the ground rice and dal batter along with salt with your hand or spoon. Cover and allow to ferment for at least 4-5 hours.
- You can make Paniyaram out of this fermented batter , but adding veggies make it more healthier. You may add sweet corn , green peas, finely chopped carrots and coriander to the batter. If you want , you may also saute the veggies first in little oil and then add them to the fermented batter. Mix the veggies to the batter nicely with a spoon.
- Add 1-2 drops of oil in each well of the paniyaram pan and heat it over medium flame. Fill 3/4 of each mould with the batter ( as it will rise little while cooking). Cover the pan and let the Paniyaram cook on low to medium flame for 2-3 minutes or until the lower side is golden brown, flip each of paniyaram with the help of a wooden stick.Cook for 1-2 minutes on this side without a lid. I have used very little oil , as my paniyaram pan is non stick. If using the traditional iron casts, you may need at least 1/4 tsp of oil in each mould.
- Remove the Paniyaram and keep in a bowl. Serve hot with chutney of your choice and enjoy this healthy treats with your loved ones !
By Poonam Bachhav(contest entry)