Cheese fatayer or cheese pies are popular arabic pastries. You find them in bakeries, school cafeterias, cafeand pastry shops.They make a great start of the day or a wonderful companion for the afternoon tea.These arabic cheese pastries are great portable snacks or impressive pastry appetizers if you make .
PREP TIME:15 mins
COOK TIME:20 mins
TOTAL TIME:35 mins
- 1/2 kg of pizza dough
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- a dash of nutmeg
- 1 tsp. nigella seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbs. milk or butter to brush the fatayer.
- Defrost the pizza dough.Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the feta, mozzarella, parsley and nutmeg. Crush with a spoon to break down the chunks of feta. You almost want the mixture to look like a very thick paste.
- On a floured surface knead the dough until it is elastic. Roll into a log and cut into ten pieces.
- Roll each ball and set aside covered.Roll out each ball into an oval shape and place about 2 tablespoons of filling down the center of the dough.
- Fold over the top left of the dough over the filling and press down. Fold over the opposite side over the folded sided and pinch.
- Repeat the process at the bottom of the pastry. Brush with milk and place on parchment paper on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with nigella seeds.
- Repeat process until all fatayers have been made.Bake at 180°C for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.