1.Tell us something about you? And how would you describe your site to new readers?
Hello, folks! I'm Janani Rakesh Kumar- Mommy, Stock Food Photographer @ Picture Pantry, Stylist, Cook, Baker & Blogger @ Skillet To Plate. My space......well it is a concoction of food and photography. Skillet to plate is for readers who find their passion for cooking And photography
2. When did you start blogging and what has inspired you to do so?
It's been a year now.I just love cooking! And I needed a space to document recipes. That's how my blog happened. When I started to blog, I just used my cell phone camera for taking pictures. I wasn’t too much into photography. As time went by I realized how important photography is, in the world of blogging. My passion for photography kicked off when I got to learn more about it. Now I'm just CRAZY after light and I love chasing it !! A lot of things inspire me like the fresh ingredients, the light, my camera, creativity, playing with different moods.
3. Where did you learn to shoot food so beautifully?
I believe shooting food is more than just being technically strong. You just need to be real and make people crave for your food just by looking at your pictures. I would say it just happens by shooting every day, reading light and developing your style
4. Have there been any mistakes along the way that you have learnt from?
A lot! Both in cooking as well as photography it happens every time
5. Which of your images do you like most, and why?
I love the light,drama and mood created in these images.
6. Food photography is hard work. I’ve tried to shoot food, and it always ends up looking inedible. Do you have any suggestions for mere mortals like myself – what can I do to improve the quality of my food pictures?(FOR A BEGINNER)
I'm still a learner and I learn every day. There's are a few tips that I'd like to share.Light is everything in photography! Try shooting everyday! Make it a routine and study light! Play with it! Next, comes the styling and composition. Style your food beautifully!Garnish it.But don't cover your food with the garnish,try to make your main hero pop out. Again, guys, I'm not an expert but it's just my thought. And most important follow your passion !! Love and enjoy what you do!
7. Out of all the methods of cooking, which is your personal favorite?
I love baking and cooking with different spices and flavors. It's just soo therapeutic
8. What type of equipment do you use to get such great results? Is everything done in a studio, or do you ever do on-location shoots?
I'm a canon girl!!! I use the canon 5d mark iii and 100 mm macro and 50 mm lenses. I shoot in natural light and yes I do it in my home studio
9. What do you do when you are not cooking or blogging?
I'm always with my little one playing and having fun
10. What’s the best and worst thing happened to you as a food blogger?
The best thing is I’m now gifted with a lot of good friends and the worst thing .. hmmm…I wouldn’t say anything but yes... saving your food from your dear ones before it's photographed - thats very very difficult.
11. If you could just banish any one food, from the earth, what would it be?
No nothing really
12. Which other blogs do you follow?
I follow many blogs and it wouldn't be fair on my part if I name a few and miss many
13. What advice would you like to give to people who want to start FOOD BLOG AND FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY?
Like I said before follow your passion, study light, love and enjoy your work! That's what really matters and it's the most important
14. What can we expect from SKILLET TO PLATE in the future?
Skillet to plate will go on as it is but will have a lot of photography on its way
15. What has been your experience with ALLARSH?
Thank you soo much ALLARSH for this interview and giving me time and being soo patient with methanks again and I loved chatting with you guys
Let’s wrap up the interview with a few quick questions-
1. Favorite savory ingredient to cook with - spices
2. Favorite sweet ingredient to cook with - saffron
3. When I’m feeling lazy I cook… I eat out
4. My pick me up dish - chocolate, and biryani
5. Favorite dish not cooked by me - my moms cooking
6. For a romantic meal I would want to eat - a decadent flourless triple chocolate cake
7. One cuisine i can live on - Indian and thai
8. One recipe i want to pass on - Not one but all
9. Favorite Color - Red
10. Favorite Movie - Mouna Ragam
11. TV Show - I don't watch much tv shows
12. Favorite Book - any book that interests me
13. Favorite Time of Day - sunrise
14. Your Zodiac Sign - Virgo